Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) and the Latino Community Foundation of Colorado (LCFC) are pleased to announce the launch of the HIP to College Summer Melt pilot initiative in Colorado.
Specifically, HIP and the LCFC are interested in addressing the issue of "summer melt" in Colorado. Summer Melt is when seemingly college-intending students fail to enroll after high school graduation. “College-intending” students are those who have completed key enrollment steps, such as applying for and being accepted to college, and applying for financial aid if their families qualify. In other cases, they have indicated their intention to enroll in college on a high school senior exit survey. A student “melts” if, despite being college-intending, she or he fails to attend college the following fall.
Summer Melt Philosophy and Values
- Cultural relevancy – We honor the unique cultures, values, languages and familial relationships that are central to Latino populations and endeavor to help service providers develop culturally relevant practices and programs that support college-aspiring Latino youth.
- Independence – The LCFC believes in helping all Latino youth make decisions that will allow them to achieve their maximum educational potential. We support the development and advancement of programs that do this in a culturally relevant way.
- Intergenerational strength – We believe that strength comes with the interconnection of the whole family. We work to promote multigenerational engagement to encourage youth success.
- Increase Latino students enrolling in college by decreasing the amount of “summer melt” amongst Latinos in Colorado.
- Identify culturally appropriate and successful programs that address “summer melt” for future adaptation and/or partnership.
- Increase the capacity of local nonprofit organizations that serve Latino youth populations.
- Increase the net amount of philanthropic dollars flowing to Latino youth issues in our communities.
For more information, please contact:
Priscilla Montoya Vitello | Project Manager | 303.398.7451 | firstname.lastname@example.org